The year is running to an end and a lot of people are looking ahead for what the future holds. Many people will take time to reflect on their lives and make New Year resolution; of cause, many of such resolutions are broken soon after they were made. The word of God says that you must overcome the strongman before you can take his place. “It is not by might, not by power but by my Spirit, says the Lord.”
The believers’ approach to issues of the future is to seek the mind of the Lord. James 4:13-16 says, “Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.” (NKJV)
The reasons why you should trust the Lord with your future: Jer. 29:11 says, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (NKJV) God is interested in you and his thought for you is a good thought. God want things to go well with you. It is important to know that we know very little about how things will generally turn-out. For instant, in United Kingdom, there were forecast about drought in the year 2012, however, the year has become the wettest since record started.
The following are some important steps you can take about the future.
- Psalm 37: 3-4 says, “Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. (NKJV)
- Prov. 3:7-8, says, “Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh,and strength to your bones.” (NKJV)
- Psalm 1:1-4, says, “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither, and whatever he does shall prosper. The ungodly are not so, but are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
- Get your information right. Don’t go through the future with on with confusing information. If you didn’t get it right, go back to God.
- Don’t allow other people’s opinion of you ruin your life. Find out the plan God has for your life and follow it. You seek for it through prayers, studying the word of God, meditation on the word and obedience.
- Be willing to repent and ask for forgiveness when you miss it. Sin is a reproach to people. Prov. 14:34 says, “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.” (NKJV)
- Don’t seek unwholesome popularity that is against righteousness. “Don’t just be a man of the people” Men may appoint you to a post but it is God that positions people for greatness.
- Don’t just follow the bandwagon. Exodus 23:2 says, “Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment:” (KJV)
- Be thankful. 1 Thess. 5:18 says. “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (NKJV)
- Be prayerful: 1 Thess. 5:17 says, “Pray without ceasing” (KJV)
Phil. 4:6 says, “Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” (KJV)
Col. 4:2 says, “Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving.” (KJV)
Psalm 37: 5, says “Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass” (KJV)
- Trust God to help you. Psalm 37:3 says, “Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.” (KJV).
- Do your work honestly, with integrity and be focused. 1 Thess.4:11-12 says, “….. make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: you should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you,so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.” (NIV)
- Stay away from other gods. Jer.25:6 says “And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt” (KJV)
- Service the Lord with gladness.
It is my prayer that all will go well with you in the coming year; as the scripture says, in Isaiah 3:10 ““Say to the righteous that it shall be well with them,
For they shall eat the fruit of their doings.” (NKJV)
Farewell and God bless you.
- Be Cheerful * Proverbs 15:13 – 16 [KJV] | Bible Resources (spiceofyourlife.wordpress.com)