This is a very important topic and I will be quoting a lot of scriptures; however, it will be appreciated if you read most of them from your Bible. This will make this article easy to read. The greatest resource on this topic is the Bible.
God love us so much that he sent his son Jesus Christ to the earth to die for our sins. Jesus accomplished that task and went back to heaven and has been speaking on our behalf on all issues. Before Jesus left, he promised that he will send the comforter, which is the Holy Spirit to us, to help us; and on the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit came. His coming was announced with great event – Acts chapter 2. (You may wish to read this).
““If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.” John 14:15-18. (NKJV).
Starting from this scripture, we can see that:
- The Holy Spirit is our helper. A helper helps those that are in need. One of our greatest needs is self-confidence, we need this in every area of life. This complex of the sinfulness that follows people was dealt with by the Holy Spirit “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death” Rom. 8:1-2.(NKJV).
- The Holy Spirit is our Guide. John 16:12-15, says ““I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.”. He will teach you the truth. Truth is different from facts. The truth shows how God sees things and how he deals with them. It is this truth of the word of God that make miracles to happen despite the evidence of pain and facts of a problem.
- He reveals things of the future: The Holy Spirit can reveal things in the future to you. The scripture in John 16:12-15 reveals that. In June 1993, after the general election in Nigeria, the Holy Spirit revealed to me that the announcement of the results will never be completed. At that time I was doing land survey work at Ogoja area in Cross River State, Nigeria. I told my colleague about it the next day. The result of that election remains incomplete. He has told me many things all through my Christian life. Please know that it is his prerogative what he tells me and I will never formulate anything to prove that he speaks to me.
- The Holy Spirit helps us in our prayers: “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” Rom.8:26.
- He declares that we are Children of God. He witnesses to it; in other words, he proves it. “ The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.” Rom. 8:16-17. (NKJV)
- The Holy Spirit makes us bold and courageous “For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”” Rom. 8:15. (NKJV)
- He quickens our body; he renews us and energises us daily. “But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.”
- The Holy Spirit commissions us to God’s work. “Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, “Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Acts 13:1-2. (NKJV). He revealed to me that fact that I was going to preach the gospel and even confirmed it using people. One time in church during the service (then) a woman walked up to me and said “have you been told that you are to preach the gospel”. She did not know who I was or things I did. I had been doing youth work and the Lord has told me about full time work and I had been praying about it(I had told some people about it and requested that they pray along with me).
- He intercedes for us according to the will of God. “Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Rom.8:27.
- In the time of confusion, the Holy Spirit manifests to give us direction and hope.1 Sam.30:6-8 “And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God. And David said to Abiathar the priest, Ahimelech’s son, I pray thee, bring me hither the ephod. And Abiathar brought thither the ephod to David. And David enquired at the Lord, saying, Shall I pursue after this troop? shall I overtake them? And he answered him, Pursue: for thou shalt surely overtake them, and without fail recover all
- The Holy Spirit always gives peace in times of trouble and life trauma. We feel a strong presence that is difficult to explain.
- The Holy Spiritual recalls scriptures that provides hope and strength when all things seems to be falling apart or when the situation are tense.
- There are “crazy” moments in life that only the Holy Spirit can handle (Dt. 29.29). Such times that we ask questions that no one can answer. Many people are tempted to volunteer opinions at such times but they never soothe the hearts in trouble expect God intervenes. Mat.2:16-18 ” When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi. Then what was said through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled: “A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more” (NIV)
The way to go about receiving help from the Holy Spirit is to ask him for help. After you have prayed, open up your mind to receive help. He can use people, the scriptures, inner witness, and many other ways to reach you.
- The Coming of the Holy Spirit (brakeman1.com)
- The Holy Spirit is Your Friend (hspcomfort.wordpress.com)
- The Holy Spirit (gospelline.net)
- the Holy Spirit in Acts, Chapters 7 – 9 (etsop95.wordpress.com)